This is the first post of my movie-a-day challenge in which I will watch a film every day for 365 days. You can see all the posts for this challenge HERE
Hey friends! 🙌
Guess what? I’ve gone a tad bit cuckoo and decided to dive headfirst into a crazy challenge: to watch a movie EVERY SINGLE DAY for the next YEAR. Yep, you read that right. The next 365 days are about to get reel! (See what I did there? 😜)
Why on Earth…?
Okay, I know what you’re thinking. “Umm, don’t you have a life? Why on earth are you doing this challenge?”
Honestly? I’ve just been feeling like I’m in a rut lately, now that the weather has turned colder (it snowed yesterday!). With the year winding down, I wanted to do something fun and different. Plus, (and this is a biggie) I’ve got this MASSIVE movie queue on multiple streaming services that’s been gathering digital dust. I mean, honestly, I think I might be singlehandedly keeping some of these platforms in business. So, another sneaky goal? Figure out which services I truly love and which ones to kick to the curb. Also, movies, well, they’ve always been my jam. So why not? 🍿🎥
Originally, I was going to only do this challenge for 60 days – November and December. But then I thought, “Roger, what’s the fun in that? Where’s the challenge? Anyone can do 60 days.” And I was right. So I made it a little more challenging and a little more interesting…and a lot more lengthy.
Alright, folks, it’s not just about popping a bag of popcorn and zoning out. I’ve set some “guidelines” for this little challenge of mine:
- No repeats! That’s right. No matter how tempting it is to watch “Lord of the Rings” for the umpteenth time, it’s a no-go. Every film must be one that I haven’t seen before.
- Mix of genres: From rom-coms to documentaries, I’m diving into it all.
- Old and New: One day it might be a black & white classic, and the next, something that just dropped on Netflix (or one of the other zillion services I’m subscribed to) or even a film at my local theater.
- World Cinema: Gotta expand those horizons, right? A sprinkle of Bollywood, a dash of French romance, and whatever else the world offers.
- Feature Length Only: No cheating by watching movie shorts. Only full length feature films allowed.
What I Hope to Gain
I mean, besides an excuse to munch on popcorn and stay in my PJs?
- A broader perspective: Movies are like windows to different worlds, cultures, and experiences.
- Conversations: Trust me, give me a topic, and I’ll have a movie reference ready by the end of this.
- Whittling Down My Queue: By this time next year, that intimidating ‘to-be-seen’ list better be way shorter. And, who knows, I might find a few new all-time faves!
- Streamlining Streaming: By the end of this, I hope to have a clearer idea of which streaming services are worth my bucks and which ones get the boot.
- Creative inspiration: Who knows, I might just pen down a script by this time next year! 😂
Fancy a movie night (or 365)? If you’re up for it, join me in this madness! Share your recommendations, your reviews, or even your rants. Let’s make it a communal cinephile experience! 🎬
Will I make it to the end without turning into a couch potato? Will I finally understand the hype behind “Inception”? There’s only one way to find out. So, folks, grab your blankets, your popcorn, and let’s get this movie marathon started!
Stay tuned, and may the film force be with you! 🌌
Until next time,
P.S. Day 1’s pick? “Bullet Train” — a pulse-pounding adventure flick about assassins. Wish me luck! 🌟